‘It’s a pity’ for San Francisco mayor, says councillor
SAN FRANCISCO – The mayor of San Francisco is “shocked and saddened” by the death of a local woman who died after she was electrocuted while working in her home.
Theresa Garcia died in a home in the area of 12th and Harrison Streets in San Francisco’s Mission District on Thursday afternoon, said Mayor Gavin Newsom’s office.
The 49-year-old was working on a home project and was electrified while doing so, Newsom said in a statement on Friday.
Newsom said the incident is being investigated by the California State Coroner’s office and will be forwarded to the California Department of Occupational Safety and Health.
The death has reignited debate about the safety of electrical wiring in homes, especially in older buildings, Newsome said in his statement.
Garcia was a member of the Board of Supervisors, and was elected in 2014.